Dr. Shalini Kapoor Kad
May 5, 2010
A homoeopathic paediatrician, a counselling expert and a freelance writer are a few words to describe my profession. My sole aim is to put forth practical piece of information that guides every one right in the direction, blending the medicos to a layman with a simple gesture to make the medical things a little less convoluted and comprehendible.
The tool is simple, much ancient with an established name and identity in the field of an infant development. Many researchers have scrutinised and all have derived results strongly advocating its administration to improve an infant’s survival and health. Experts support and advise to withhold breast feeding in extreme circumstances only.
Why it is important?
- Breast feed is an ideal composition for swift digestion with lesser load on the immature stomach intestines. It acts gently to aid all the nutrition. The fat content is fine and emulsified with smaller globules that will be absorbed better. Further the protein content in form of lactalbumin and lacto globulin an trivial amount of casein make it a perfect blend easily digestible. Next comes the carbohydrate, breast milk principally contains lactose that promotes the growth of micro organism releasing organic acids essential to metabolise and synthesis vitamin B. The mineral content adds to the joint with its potassium, sodium and chloride content which for sure lay no burden on the developing renal system.
- Protector: breast feed aids natural protection and helps combat deficiency. It’s inherited vitamin D help bone development and strengthens. Lactoferrin eradicates the growth of E.coli and prevents gastroenteritis. The lysozyme content protects from infections and interferon is an antiviral substance. The milk passes on passive immunity in form of antibodies in the first two or three days.
- Milk is safe and sound: The feed is sterile requiring no sterilisation and is available at the right temperature. The exposure to infections is minimal and thus minimising on the chances of passing on any infections via this medium.
- Saves mother: apart from the child’s good, feed also comes as bliss to the mother in form of natural contraception though absolute reliability can’t be assured.
- The laxative action helps the child and overcome any sort of gastric disturbances.
- No danger of an allergy what so ever
With an array put forth the picture is clear on the breast feed, but then too some mothers hesitate to follow up religiously on account of myths and their own grounded notions, benefiting no one. Rather they either harm themselves or their child on account of these disbeliefs:-
- A mother can only aid enough milk if she herself consumes milk. It is a myth and a mother no doubt should consume healthy nourishment to support two lives but it doesn’t mean to take milk indeed the breast milk will rise only on the suckling stimulation by the infant that sends messages to the brain stimulating for further production.
- If a mother once fails to feed a bay then next time too she will have issues, this surely is not rue with no hold to its existence.
- Smaller breast would never produce sufficient. Again a myth as the production will depend on the stimulation.
- Whatever a mother eats goes to the baby as well. The statement is a dilemma as the digestive system and the milk production is altogether a differ scenario with no connection but still myths prevail on the segment and often mother s starve on their delicacies believing it will harm the child and nor the less harming their own satiety and mind set.
The breast feed is a precious gift bonding a mother and an infant. It should be taken up with pride and no confusions of any sort for the good of the child and the mother.