Dr. Shalini Kapoor Kad
Jan. 14, 2011
A homoeopathic paediatrician, a counselling expert and a freelance writer are a few words to describe my profession. My sole aim is to put forth practical piece of information that guides every one right in the direction, blending the medicos to a layman with a simple gesture to make the medical things a little less convoluted and comprehendible.
Announcement of pregnancy is one of the most joyous occasions in the life of a woman. Many times she may get panic-stricken owing to the responsibilities the job of being a mother necessitates, but once the bundle of joy is placed in your hand, all you feel is love and happiness. Pregnancy is a natural phenomenon which brings physical and mental changes in the woman. Although some form of pain and lethargy is normal with every pregnancy there are many other symptoms and conditions which differ from woman to woman and hence the moment a woman feels that she can be pregnant, a gynecologist should be consulted.
Things to remember in pregnancy
- Go to your health provider immediately once you have conceived. If you have been planning a baby since some time then it’s always advisable to see to doctor and follow all the instructions regarding diet and daily routine.
- Usually iron and other mineral tablets are prescribed during the initial stages of pregnancy. You should regularly take all the medicines at the given time. Vaccination in different months should also be taken as per the instructions.
- If you occasionally drink wine or are a smoker, its time you quit these habits as it can have fatal effects on the infant in the womb.
- Find out your blood group, register at a blood bank in case of emergency during delivery time and get the blood checked for any deficiencies or abnormality.
- Never break the appointment with your health provider. Initially you may be asked to visit once every month. But as the delivery date comes nearer you will have to visit your doctor once every week.
- If you forget the questions you want to ask to your doctor, before the visits just write down all the questions on a paper or in a diary as they come to your mind in 3 to 4 days and address them to your health provider. Every woman is different and experiences many times some unusual symptoms. So your doctor is the right person who can tell you whether what you are feeling is normal or something different.
- Get good books on pregnancy of renowned authors and read them in spare time. You can as well check on the internet for the best buys.
- A working woman should take special care about taking her diet regularly and on time. Many companies have special provisions for pregnant woman.
- Never hide anything from your gynecologist. Be truthful to her as she is going to help you through labor. Even a small nagging doubt must be shared so that eleventh hour complications can be avoided.
- Your doctor should answer every question. Never dread from asking questions and pursue the topic till you are not fully satisfied.
- As the months increase, go for loose fitting simple clothes. This will help you to feel at ease.
- Some exercises can be done during pregnancy which also helps in normal delivery and keeps you fit.
- The extended bulge on your stomach can make your skin loose elasticity and can cause stretch marks. Use good massage oil enriched in Vitamin E slowly on your stomach to stop formation of stretch marks.