Dr. Shalini Kapoor Kad
Oct. 14, 2010
A homoeopathic paediatrician, a counselling expert and a freelance writer are a few words to describe my profession. My sole aim is to put forth practical piece of information that guides every one right in the direction, blending the medicos to a layman with a simple gesture to make the medical things a little less convoluted and comprehendible.
First let’s understand the title in total and its application. Conception in lay man language is defined as fertilisation or else the beginning of the gestational phase. And preconception counselling is the counselling done before fertilisation simply meeting a doctor and knowing of pregnancy whereabouts even before the pregnancy begins. Though the concept is a little new but it is proving its worth worldwide. It is done for couples who wish to have a baby soon and want a safe and sound gestation.
Why and who to get this counselling?
- It is advisable especially for all the elderly couples who wish a hassle free way. Preparing for anything is vital and with a sensitive issue of bringing a new life to the world is concerned preparation needs to be thorough. With age chances of abnormal gestations, complicated versions and unsafe labour can’t be ruled out completely but with an expert approach they can be curtailed.
- Here the primary concern lies to prepare a woman who enters pregnancy with an optimal state of health which would be safe for both the mother and the foetus.
- Also the optimal time of conception can be derived from the counselling sessions
- Females with positive history of miscarriages or difficult gestations should seek help to minimise repetitions.
- Most of the foetal organs develop by the end of the first three months and any flaw intricate is difficult to resolve later which could have been avoided easily with early intervention.
- The counselling helps detect high risk factors with detailed evaluation of the medical, personal, family and obstetric history
- Dietary advices for ill nourished mother can be derived from the counselling sessions.
- It allows a doctor to act apt and control chronic disease like diabetes, high blood pressure to a level that doesn’t harm the developing life.
- In case the mother is overweight or underweight then it can to be controlled with expert guidance.
- The counselling also allows the mother to overcome any fears or hesitations towards the process. Usually the first timers have a lot of questions and often have a little fear but with an expert opinion these all can be faded. It imparts the mother a good understanding and also allows her to adjudge on the obvious and abnormal symptoms. The counselling makes her realise the deviations she is going to experience and let loose all her inhibitions
- Appropriate immunisation is to be offered for the non immune types.
- The sessions help eradicate complications to arise later in the 9 months phase.
Though the counselling can be conducted within a gynaecologist but in some cases help may have to be extended to genetics and general physicians too. The assessment is essential and should never be sidelined for a happy pregnancy. Every parent wants their loved one to be healthy and sound with minimum troubles so one needs to start preparing from the very thought of it and not wait till a positive pregnancy test.